Search the Zoology/Alexander library
The Alexander Library of Ornithology is one of the foremost ornithological reference libraries in the world. It holds extensive collections of 19th and 20th century books, pamphlets and periodicals, and an archive of ornithological notebooks and diaries. It is an international resource with the collections covering ornithology, natural history, conservation, ecology and behaviour.
Founded in the 1930’s on the personal collections of Wilfred Backhouse Alexander, it was originally housed at 91 Banbury Road. W.B. Alexander was the first Director of the Oxford Bird Census (the predecessor of the Edward Grey Institute of Field Ornithology) and on his retirement in 1945 he became the first Librarian, holding the position until 1955. The Library was named in his honour in 1947.
Today, much of the material within the collections is received via donation or through exchange schemes. The library enjoys a close relationship with the British Ornithologists’ Union and books which have been reviewed within its journal, The Ibis, are subsequently deposited in the Alexander Library. The Library also houses the British Falconers’ Club Library.
It has a stock of around 11,000+ books, 85,500 offprints/reports, 500 theses; some 500 current journals plus another 1,500 non-current.
For Opening Hours and Admissions Policy please see library website: http://libguides.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/alexanderlibrary
External library links
- Visit the Library Libguide: http://libguides.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/alexanderlibrary
- Search the Catalogue: http://solo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk
- Finding E-Resources: http://libguides.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/oxlip-plus
Alexander (and Sherardian) Library
South Parks Road
- Telephone: +44 1865-2-75025
Manager: Sophie Wilcox